With so much rain, snow, and other damp climate conditions typical in the workplace, it’s important to have proper waterproof coverage when selecting the best work boots. Fortunately, technology has well progressed and now provides shoes with both protection and comfort.
Waterproof composite work boots are a great option for those seeking reliable, nonmetallic toe protection and a comfortable fit. Working in the construction site means that your feet are exposed to harsh conditions and a bad choice of footwear can leave you vulnerable to injuries, slips, and falls.
Although these kinds of shoes may be difficult to find due to an abundance of mediocre-quality options on the market, we’ve conducted a comprehensive search for the best waterproof construction boots available this year.
Best Waterproof Construction Boots (Comparison Table)
Before we get into our complete list of boots, here is a comparison table of the top 5:
Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links where I may receive a small commission at no cost to you if you decide to make a purchase.
What are the Best Waterproof Construction Boots? Top 7 Picks
For the most part, the best waterproof work boots for you is that pair that lets you work in comfort and safety, with good value for your money, and of course, it should be waterproof.
To help you make an informed decision, and to help you summarize that long list of potential construction boots, here are some of our favorite picks:
1. Timberland Waterproof Boot Premium (6-Inch)
- CLASSIC STYLE: Rain, slush, or snow, boots are Timberland's specialty, and when you think of Timberland boots, you're thinking of these. Our original waterproof boot provides tireless waterproof performance and instantly recognizable work-boot styling.
- LOOK NO FURTHER for trail-ready performance and style. Our selection of men’s hiking boots, waterproof hiking boots, casual boots, and casual shoes is designed to fit in with your outdoor-ready ensembles, whether you’re heading to the summit or downtown.
- TIMBERLAND BOOTS are synonymous with quality workmanship. Whether you're looking for mens boots, womens boots, or kids boots, Timberland has you covered. For the best in hiking boots, rain boots, work boots, casual shoes & boots & more, choose Timberland.
The Timberland Waterproof Boot Premium (6-Inch) is the epitome of classic style — a timeless showpiece that teams classic design with superior performance. Crafted with 100% leather and built to last, these boots offer the utmost protection from all elements. The waterproof construction of this boot guarantees to keep your feet dry and comfortable, regardless of how wet the conditions are outside.
Working the construction site, the Timberland Waterproof leather work boot also has a strong yet lightweight anti-fatigue midsole that cushions your feet with each and every step, making them perfect for long days on the job.
With a shaft measuring just over seven inches and a comfortable one-inch heel all on a platform of three-quarters, you can expect hours of all-day comfort with these Timberland boots.
- Waterproof construction
- Durable 100% leather upper material
- Runs big
2. Keen Utility Composite Waterproof Work Boots (Wedge-Style)
- COMPOSITE TOE: Left and right asymmetrical, non-metallic, carbon-fiber safety toes offer unobtrusive fit and are 15% lighter than steel toes, and meet or exceed ASTM F2412 and F2413 EH standards
- WATERPROOF: KEEN.DRY is a waterproof, breathable membrane liner that lets vapor out without letting water in for keeping your feet dry and comfortable; The Cincinnati 6” Composite Toe work boots have a mesh liner that integrates with the waterproof membrane
- SUPPORT & COMFORT: Featuring KEEN Luftcell, an air-infused midsole for weightless comfort and aerated pillow-top cushioning to keep your feet comfortable while walking on the job site
The Keen Utility Composite Waterproof Work Boots offer an unbeatable combination of protection and comfort. Lightweight, asymmetrical carbon-fiber safety toes allow you to work on the job site, without slowing you down. Its Luftcell cushioning in the midsole disperses weight for a more comfortable experience when walking on those hard worksite surfaces.
Softer on the tread but stronger on grip, these boots incorporate a slip-resistant rubber sole for maximum traction no matter the terrain, simply perfect for those long days spent on the construction site. The oil and slip-resistant outsole will keep you grounded, even when you are dealing with slippery surfaces and puddles.
These boots are 15% lighter than steel toes and meet ASTM F2412-11, F2413-14, and EH standards for protective toe coverage.
- Lightweight, doesn’t weigh you down
- Luftcell cushion to disperse the weight, providing more comfort
- Slip-resistant rubber sole with siping for maximum traction
- Not as waterproof as other options on the market.
3. Timberland PRO 6-Inch Industrial Work Boot
- RELIABLE DURABILITY: We reinforce our Boondock men's waterproof work boots with Ever-Guard leather and rubber toe protectors for abrasion-resistant performance. TPU outsole features deep lugs for traction and is slip-, oil- and abrasion-resistant.
- ANTI-FATIGUE TECHNOLOGY: A comfort system designed with shock-absorbing, geometrical technology that returns energy back to the foot to deliver all-day support and comfort.
- A SOURCE OF PRIDE: We know you take pride in your work, so our soft-toed shoes and boots and steel-toe boots and shoes are designed to provide you with enhanced job performance day in and day out. Wear them at work well as at home with comfort & style.
The Timberland PRO 6-Inch Industrial Work Boot is the perfect combination of reliability and durability. Crafted from Ever-Guard leather and rubber toe protectors for superior resistance, these boots also feature an innovative TPU outsole with deep lugs for maximum traction even in extreme conditions.
On top of that, these boots are completed with an anti-fatigue comfort system engineered with geometrical technology. This provides shock absorption for hours of walking, standing, and crouching on the job site. An internal padded collar adds extra comfort and support for your ankles.
Timberland PRO has designed these for those who need ultimate comfort, durability, and protection from their work boots. Its construction combines premium waterproof leather, a waterproof membrane, and a steel toe to ensure your feet will stay dry and protected.
- Crafted from Ever-Guard leather and rubber toe protectors for superior resistance
- Innovative TPU outsole with deep lugs for maximum traction in tough conditions
- Anti-fatigue comfort system engineered with geometrical technology for shock absorption and ankle support
- Premium waterproof leather, a waterproof membrane, and moisture-wicking linings to keep you dry and comfortable
- Strong and dependable construction for long-term wear.
- Runs large compared to other boots in its class
- May be too bulky for some people’s taste
- Price is higher than similar boots from competitors
- A little bit squeaky
4. Wolverine Tarmac Work Boots
- Removable full cushion insole
- Moisture managing mesh linings
- Wolverine cemented sole construction
- High visibility reflective wrap midsole
These Wolverine Tarmac Work Boots are true masters at keeping your feet safe and comfortable in hazardous environments. Crafted from waterproof full-grain leather, not only do these boots protect your feet from the elements, but they safeguard pretty well against impact and abrasion as well.
Their slip-resistant rubber outsole provides great traction even on slippery surfaces, giving you the confidence to get the job done without worrying about slips or falls. Inside, a cushioned midsole helps absorb shock from long days spent walking, standing, and crouching at work sites.
Though bulky in size, the lightweight cement construction ensures excellent durability, while the cushioned footbeds put extra comfort on your feet. These features alone simply make up the bulkiness of the boots, making them easier to wear.
- Waterproof full-grain leather for protection from elements and abrasion
- Slip-resistant rubber outsoles for excellent traction
- Cushioned midsole to absorb shock from long hours of work
- Lightweight cemented sole construction for durability
- Bulky in size
- May not be as breathable as other options on the market
5. Wolverine I-90 Waterproof Work Boots
- Comfortable - by bringing comfort closer to the foot, new EPX technology conserves and returns energy to better fight fatigue
- Durable - high abrasion TPU SR lug outsole
- Waterproof - breathable waterproof membrane with moisture wicking mesh
- Stay protected - Composite toe ASTM F2413-11 M I/75 C/75 EH
Gearing up for the job site means that you’ll have to ensure that everything you’ll wear from head to toe provides the utmost comfort and protection. That’s why these Wolverine I-90 Waterproof Work Boots for Men are an excellent choice for any man in the construction industry.
Featuring its top-notch waterproofing technology and composite materials as a safety feature, these shoes are designed to ensure your feet stay dry and protected from any work hazard. By combining a waterproof membrane and breathable mesh lining, the I-90 boots provide lasting protection against wet conditions. As an added bonus, this material is strong enough that you can confidently walk right into rain puddles without getting your feet wet. No more soggy socks for you!
Not will the I-90 only keep your feet dry, but this pair of boots also include additional features such as a slip-resistant outsole and composite safety caps to provide superior protection when working around heavy machinery or hazardous conditions. Even though they may be narrow in width, the comfort provided from their breathable mesh linings will keep your feet feeling fresh all day long by eliminating any odor bulidup.
Whether you’re working in a construction site during a heavy downpour or working on sensitive machinery, Wolverine’s I-90 work boots have got your back (and your feet!) covered. With its unique combination of waterproof membranes and breathable mesh linings, this pair of boots is designed to provide lasting protection from the elements and any hazardous conditions you may encounter. That’s why when it comes to finding a reliable and comfortable work boot, the Wolverine I-90 should be at the top of your list.
- Waterproof membrane and breathable mesh lining for durability and comfort
- Slip-resistant outsoles for added traction
- Composite safety toe for protection against hazardous conditions
- Breathable mesh linings eliminate odor buildup and keep feet fresh all day long
- Narrow in width compared to other boots in its class
- May not be as flexible or supportive as other brands on the market.
6. Keen Utility Waterproof Work Boots
- Waterproof leather upper
- Hydrophobic/ hydrophilic 2 zone comfort technology lining
- Removable metatomical dual density EVA footbed
- Oil and slip-resistant nonmarking rubber outsole
For hard-working people looking for the ideal work boots to make their day more comfortable, the Keen Utility Portland work boots are a perfect choice. They offer protection from nasty injuries as well as those tough working conditions.
One of the things I don’t like it is that it may take a few weeks before they break in, but it will be worth it. During the break-in period, I suggest wearing thinner socks so that the boots can mold to your feet.
Not only will the boots keep your feet dry, but they also include additional features such as slip-resistant outsoles and composite safety toe caps to provide superior protection when working around heavy machinery or hazardous conditions.
Cushioned footbeds are embedded in these American-made boots to ensure that your feet stay comfortable as long as you are working. Not only that, but this pair of boots is surprisingly lightweight, making it easier for you to walk around and complete the job.
- Lightweight design makes it easier to move around
- Cushioned footbeds provide extra comfort and support
- Slip-resistant outsoles provide added traction
- Composite safety toe caps protect feet from hazardous conditions
- May take a few weeks to break in properly
- Narrow fit may not be comfortable for some people.
7. Ariat Workhog Waterproof Western Work Boots
- WESTERN WORK BOOT: Ariat WorkHog boot is designed to offer superior protection without compromising the western look; With them, stay assured that you can work at ease and put the best foot forward
- ATS MAX TECHNOLOGY: These composite toe shoes for men are designed with Ariat’s ATS Max platform, which offers ultimate torsional stability to minimize foot fatigue while ensuring proper body alignment when you need it the most
- WATERPROOF CONSTRUCTION: These classy work boots have a Waterproof Pro construction. With these boots, your feet will stay dry without any fear of getting wet and dirty in the puddles, heavy rain, or muck
Why not change it up a bit? Have you ever seen construction boots that look like western boots? Well here you go.
The Ariat WorkHog Wellington work boots offer unbeatable protection, making them the perfect choice when it comes to safety and durability. These practical boots are made with waterproof full-grain leather that shields your feet from water and other liquids while also providing a stylish look.
At first glance, you might think that these boots are too stiff, but the ATS Max technology will prove you wrong as it keeps your feet comfortable and supported all day. With added composite safety toe caps, you can be sure that you’re getting maximum protection that is lightweight as well as nonmetallic.
Despite how bulky they may appear, these boots guarantee comfort and ease of wear due to their convenient pull-on design. Furthermore, you can rely on the Duratread oil and slip-resistant outsoles for better traction in any kind of weather or terrain.
These Ariat WorkHog Wellingtons are ideal for those who demand both function and style in a shoe – because these boots have it all! The premium materials keep feet dry even when exposed to external moisture, while composite toe caps provide essential security without being too heavy or hot. Despite their bulkiness, the pull-on design ensures a comfortable fit while walking or working, while the Duratread outsole prevents slips on slick surfaces.
All this combines to create one of the most resilient yet fashionable work boots on the market today – perfect for those times when safety is just as important as looking good!
- Waterproof full-grain leather prevents liquid from entering
- ATS Max technology ensures superior comfort and support
- Composite safety toe caps protect without being too heavy or hot
- Duratread oil and slip-resistant outsoles for better traction
- Pull-on design makes it easy to slip on and off
- Looks bulky / bigger
Buyer’s Guide: Things to Consider When Buying Waterproof Construction Boots
Purchasing a high quality pair of waterproof construction boots is an important decision for anyone in the trade or working outdoors in general. While our recommendations above are all excellent options, we’ll list below the factors we took into account s when researching the best waterproof boots, so you can make an informed decision when buying your own.
1. Comfort is a Top Priority
Construction work can be quite demanding, and having a comfortable pair of boots is essential to getting the job done without any pain or discomfort in your feet. From work days that last late into the night, to heavy loads and long-term use, comfort should be your top priority when buying waterproof construction boots.
What are the things to look for? Check the boot’s features such as arch support, cushioned footbeds, and breathable material for maximum comfort throughout. Additionally, look for boots with a snug but not too tight fit to ensure your feet have room to breathe and move freely.
When you’re working all day and you’re on your feet, your feet swell. This is normal, thus, choosing a pair of construction boots that allow for ample space for swelling is recommended.
Cushioned footbeds make a big difference in how comfortable your feet will be during long days of work, and arch support helps to reduce any pain and fatigue in the foot.
2. Materials Matter
Apart from comfort, the materials used in construction boots play a major role in providing quality and durability. Since heavy-duty tasks put significantly more strain on footwear than casual use, look for products made with full-grain leather and solid rubber soles for maximum strength and protection against any rugged terrain you may face during the project.
Regular shoes or boots break down easily, but waterproof construction boots with high quality materials can last for years.
Durability isn’t something you want to skimp on when it comes to buying waterproof construction boots, as the hard work you put in at the job site is sure to take its toll eventually. When perusing through your options, look for boots with strong stitching and reinforced seams to ensure they hold up against wear and tear. A full-grain leather upper and solid rubber soles are reliable indicators of a robust product that can put up with any task you throw at it.
Investing in quality materials ensures your boots last longer than regular shoes, and serve you well over a long period of time. Although these types of boots may seem a bit more expensive upfront, they often pay for themselves in the long run.
3. Weight is Important Too
When shopping for waterproof construction boots, weight is an often overlooked factor. Do you really want a heavy-duty boot dragging around your feet all day long? That extra weight can make your work day seem even longer, and your feet will be more tired than usual.
Look for light weight construction boots that feel comfortable, but are still durable enough to protect you from any hazards on the job site. Pay attention to the weight of the boots when comparing different models, as even slight differences in their construction can make a big difference in overall comfort.
4. Safety is Essential
Safety should be your top priority when shopping for waterproof construction boots, as it’s vital to protect yourself from potential harm. Look for boots that meet safety and industry standards, such as ASTM-rated products, which are tested and approved for use in construction projects.
These boots should come equipped with features such as a steel safety toe or composite toe caps and slip-resistant soles to keep you safe and steady on the job site.
Although construction boots are considered to be more expensive than a regular pair of casual boots, this doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to go find the cheapest ones. Remember, affordability and being easy on the pocket may also mean compromising on safety and quality.
Research brands that offer durable construction boots at an affordable price.
Reputable brands offer a wide selection of mid-range products with comfort, safety, and durability. Consider investing in a pair of construction boots that provide the best value for your money, and stop looking at the price tag as the only deciding factor.
At the end of the day, choosing the right construction boots can make or break your work day. Take the time to research and invest in quality waterproof construction boots that provide comfort, safety, and durability. Your feet will thank you for it!
6. Toe and Electrical Hazard Protection
Wearing comfortable shoes might not be enough when working at a construction site. Take the extra step and look for waterproof construction boots that offer the highest level of safety, such as those with toe and electrical hazard protection.
Working in the construction site means your feet can come in contact with hazardous materials and equipment that require additional safety features. Look for boots with steel toe caps and reinforced soles to protect your feet from heavy objects, as well as those with electrical hazard protection in case you accidentally step on live wires.
Although we’re aware that basic safety and protection are both prioritized in the workplace, accidents are inevitable and could occur when you least expect it. Investing in the right pair of boots with the necessary safety features is a small price to pay for peace of mind.
7. Waterproof Material
Believe it or not, the waterproof material of your construction boot can make a big impact on its longevity. Not all waterproof materials are created equal, and some may not offer the same level of protection as others.
Look for boots that are constructed to be durable and waterproof that can withstand more than a simple spill or rainfall. As much as possible, try to find a pair of boots that are waterproof yet still breathable, and can keep your feet dry even when exposed to excessive moisture.
Leather is often used in construction boots and provides a durable barrier against water and other liquids. It also has natural breathability that helps keep feet cool during hot days.
Synthetic materials are usually lighter than leather, but still, provide good protection against the elements. They are also easier to clean and maintain, which makes them a great option for those who want a hassle-free experience.
8. Insulation for Cold Conditions
Cold climates can be a challenge when working on construction sites, and it’s important to make sure your feet are kept warm. Waterproofing alone doesn’t provide enough insulation for cold conditions, make sure that the pair of boots you’ll get are insulated so you get to keep your toes warm during winter days.
Insulated boots are equipped with layers of materials that offer extra warmth, and are usually made of synthetic materials or wool.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions and answers related to waterproof construction boots:
How much do waterproof construction boots cost?
The price of waterproof construction boots can vary depending on the brand and features. Generally, you can find a decent pair of mid-range boots in the $100-$200 range. The price may go higher when you look for boots with additional safety features such as steel toe caps and electrical hazard protection.
Are waterproof construction boots comfortable?
Yes and no. Depending on the material and design, some construction boots can be uncomfortable if not properly fitted. Look for boots that are lightweight and breathable with a cushioned insole and adjustable lacing system to ensure comfort all day long.
What is the best waterproof material for construction boots?
Leather is generally the preferred material for construction boots because of its durability and breathability. However, synthetic materials are also a great option for those looking for lightweight and easy-to-maintain waterproof boots.
How can I make sure my construction boots are waterproof?
The manufacturer usually indicates if the materials used are waterproof or not. Check the product description before buying to ensure you are getting a waterproof pair of boots. You can also check its waterproofing features by spraying water on the fabric and observing how it responds.
Additionally, you can use a waterproofing spray to add an extra layer of protection. Make sure to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for proper application to ensure protection from wet environments.
What are the most important features to look for in waterproof construction boots?
When it comes to waterproof construction boots, the most important features are durability, breathability, and safety. Look for boots that have a reinforced sole, steel toe caps, and electrical hazard protection to keep your feet safe on the job.
Additionally, check for materials that are lightweight and breathable to ensure comfort throughout your shift.
When is the right time to replace my construction boots?
Construction boots typically last for around 6 months to 1 year. However, this depends on the frequency of use and the level of protection they provide. If you start seeing signs of wear and tear, it’s time to replace them with a new pair. Additionally, if your boots are no longer waterproof or provide enough safety protection, it’s wise to replace them as soon as possible.
Can I use my waterproof construction boots for other activities?
Although waterproof construction boots may seem like the obvious choice when you’re venturing into muddy, wet terrain, these sturdy kicks offer a surprising level of versatility. They may not be the most comfortable for longer treks and can be quite heavy, but if you’re looking to hit up a few hikes throughout the year, you can wear your construction boots.
However, it’s strongly recommended that you invest in a pair of dedicated hiking boots for any serious outdoor adventures.
Should I wear a size bigger or smaller when buying construction boots?
Most people find that getting half a size bigger than their normal size works best. This is mainly because of the arch support. It’s important to make sure your new work boots fit snugly and comfortably. Your heel should sit firmly against the back of the boot while still allowing some wiggle room at the toes.
When you walk around in your new shoes they should bend with your feet instead of feeling rigid or stiff, and this can be achieved when you get a shoe that’s half a size bigger than what you’re usually wearing.
Additionally, when you’re working or standing for longer periods, your feet might swell up and you’ll need the extra space to avoid discomfort.
The right pair of waterproof construction boots can make all the difference when you’re tackling any number of work-related tasks. Whether you’re a construction worker, a landscaper or anything else, you need to make sure your feet are well-protected and comfortable throughout the day.
When choosing a waterproof boot, consider factors like durability, breathability, safety features, and fit. Take a look at some of the product recommendations and keep in mind the key features outlined above to make sure you’re getting the best bang for your buck.